Professional Regulation and Discipline
For professionals, including educators, health care professionals, lawyers and their associations, the relationship with their governing college is crucial. Increasingly, professionals find themselves at the centre of complaints, which may stem in part from systemic inadequacies in our health and education institutions.
We ensure professionals seeking registration, facing complaints, or facing allegations of incompetence or incapacity before their College, Society or governing body, are aware of their rights, and that those rights are fully protected throughout the process. Our lawyers make creative use of alternative dispute mechanisms offered by governing bodies. For foreign professionals, we have developed strategies to overcome barriers to recognition of their credentials. We also assist professional associations in their dealings with the colleges and governing bodies. Our lawyers also assist professional associations in their dealings with the colleges and governing bodies, providing policy, legislative and strategic advice as well as representation before government-appointed reviewers.
We also provide prosecutorial services and independent legal counsel to professional colleges.
Our professional regulation and discipline services include:
- submissions to Complaints and Executive Committees;
- representation before Fitness to Practice Committees, Registration Committees and Discipline Committees;
- representation on reviews to the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board;
- court litigation arising from regulatory proceedings or practices;
- representation at all related proceedings, such as inquests where a professional’s practice or right to practice may be challenged or circumscribed;
- representation on Quality Assurance and Practice Reviews;
- representation on OHIP reviews; and
- policy and legal advice on professional governance, discipline issues and legislative reform.